Friday, May 19, 2006

Fundalentil Soup

This vegetarian soup is amazing. It makes a large quantity, which I always plan to freeze in portions. And which I end up consuming over a couple of days. My husband thought I had completely lost my mind - I had this soup for dinner on the first night, then for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day, and lunch and dinner the day after that. What can I say? It's delicious!!!

From Looneyspoons Crazy Plates cookbook, by Janet and Greta Podleski. And hey, they are so cool, they give all this info about the soup. Per serving: 198 calories, 1.9 g fat, 0.1 g saturated fat, 12.3 g protein, 34.6 g carbohydrate, 12.2 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 354.9 mg sodium. Makes 10 -12 servings (I won't say serves 10 - 12, because it may serve just 1, 10-12 times!)

1 tsp olive oil
1.5 c chopped onions
1 c chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
7 c vegetable soup stock (homemade, or canned. Try for low sodium)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz can undiluted tomato soup
2 c dried brown or green lentils
2 c chopped carrots
2 c diced sweet potatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt (I don't use it)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 c packed, chopped fresh spinach (if I use baby spinach, I don't chop it)

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 or 4 minutes, until veggies begin to soften.
Add all remaining ingredients, except spinach. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add spinach and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Also good if sprinkled with sunflower seeds (removed from the shell, of course).

*Thanks to Nancyle for passing this recipe to me last year!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home